Thursday, August 6, 2009

Tasty

OK, so I started the last post meaning to list things I miss about the U.S.

There are probably lots, but here are some for now, mostly food:

  • Crab cakes (the Washington Post just HAD to do a mouthwatering review of D.C. Metro area crab cake restaurants)
  • Kickin' Crab and Sweet Corn Chowder -- you can get it at the soup and salad bar at Harris Teeter, Giant, Safeway, etc. grocery stores. SO yummy.
  • Chipotle
  • MILKSHAKES -- I never really had them that often, but they DO NOT have them here, so of course now I really want one!
  • good Thai food
  • Popeye's chicken tenders with honey mustard dipping sauce, biscuits and dirty rice
  • a good chef salad
  • that's all I can think of for now
As much as I love the restaurant scene here, sometimes a girl just wants a Pillsbury Orange Roll -- there's another tasty I miss!

I'm pretty much only missing perishable and restaurant items; everything else we can either get at the Commissary or order online. Let me tell you, an APO (or in our case, DPO) is a beautiful thing. Shipping costs to a Miami ZIP code and then on a plane direct to the Embassy at no additional cost!

As far as non-food things I miss, I miss driving out to my parents' house and seeing Arlington and the cities beyond melt away to suburbia and then to fields and the way Loudoun "used to look." Then climbing the mountain in my little car, cresting it, seeing the valley below me and the next right onto the winding, hilly mountain road to their house in the woods.

And I miss NORMAL pedicures!!!!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

ha! normal pedicures. what are they like there? do they pour chocolate on your feet?