Sunday, January 30, 2011

Neil's Amazing Hair Saga

Since I've known him, Neil has grown his hair out and then cut it short more times than I can count. It's unfair, really: my hair grows unbelievably slowly, while in the same amount of time, his goes through at least two long-to-short cycles.

He cuts his hair himself, which continually impresses me.

The most memorable hair saga was this past year, when he grew it long; then cut bangs; then cut a pageboy; then cut an Argentine mullet (though it was a little more Justin Bieber than the intended Lionel Messi look); then buzzed it.

Here was the process, chronicled during the months of July-August, 2010:

DSCN6003

Neil's goal had been to grow it until he could do the "Samurai": the top part pulled back and the rest down.
DSCN6616
 
He also sometimes wore it in a double topknot.

 DSCN5943


DSCN6140

 Then, he cut bangs.
 DSCN6962


DSCN7004

Next, he cut a pageboy (tapered/feathered from the bangs to the ends around the face)
DSCN7290

Then, I made him come with me to the salon to get it all chopped -- into an "Argentine Mullet" (a very special, "futbol"-inspired mullet sported by every man and boy in Buenos Aires).

This was on the walk to the salon
DSCN7303

Lisandro, my hairstylist, was trusted to do the job.
DSCN7306

Lisandro and I are pals, having bonded over my rather frequent "brushings" -- Argentine Spanish for blowout -- followed by "planchita" (flat ironing)
DSCN7309

Also, Lisandro is kinda cute. And has nice arms.
DSCN7335



Nile and I chilled (see my nice brushing y planchita!) while the mullet was made.
DSCN7338

I felt bad since, unbeknownst to Lisandro who is such a great guy, the mullet was a joke ... And he totally took like 45 min. to carefully cut it from every angle.

I love the original parquet floors in the salon.
 DSCN7322


Ahi va!
DSCN7341


Like I said, a little too Bieb-ish, but still amazing
DSCN7343


There's definitely a mullet there!
DSCN7349


Hair by Lisandro

DSCN7351


Of course, soon after he got the Argentine/Bieber Mullet, Neil buzzed his hair himself.

Voila!
DSCN7482
 This photo was taken August 25, 2010
 ...

and this is his hair today, January 30, 2010, five months later

DSCN2921_2

It's not fair!

No comments: