Friday, July 11, 2008

I'll Take Iowa, For $1,000

But first: After I got back from Hawaii, I discovered that during my absence Neil's moles met with an unimaginable fate, which he dubbed "molicide," involving safety pins, dental floss and fingernail clippers. TMI? I'm really upset about it, but there's nothing that can be done now; they are definitely long gone.

The college newspaper that first introduced me to the wonderful world of journalism is having a reunion next weekend. The Iowa State Daily was a fun and awesome learning experience and place to work. I really, really want to go to the reunion, but I just started looking for tickets, and they're $980, which is INSANE. I should have thought of that before I sent my frequent flier miles on vacation. Oh well. I am still trying to think of some way to make this work. I would love, love, LOVE to go. We'll see if I can swing it somehow. I even got desperate and looked up Greyhound and trains. Needless to say, those may be more economical but are not at all practical choices.

I came up with an idea, though. With current gas prices, and commercial shipping companies complaining, why not start a "Trucker Tagalong" program, where you can pay to hitch a ride with a trucker? It would be cheaper than air, and truckers are totally focused on getting to their destination with no delays, unlike air travel. Sure, you may have to share some beef jerky and truck stop siestas along the way, but your bags wouldn't get lost.

This solution would be perfect for my (hopefully) upcoming trip, since I want to go to Iowa, otherwise known as the "truckers' crossroads." The world's largest truck stop is, in fact, in Iowa. Believe me, I've been there.

Unfortunately, riding along with a trucker could have its risks. Truckers have developed a certain reputation, possibly deserved, that could pose a hazard to a young woman such as myself. So the idea isn't perfect, but no transportation solution is without its flaws.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

haha! that's awesome and please pass along my condolences to neil's moles... wherever they may be now- RIP.

modestmuse said...

Sad day, I know. Love the cupcake pic!

M. said...

you are hilarious. I like that idea... maybe even make it a reality series. With a camera guy there you'd acutally just be doing the Simple Life III so never mind. But I still like the hitching idea! 980?? go to Europe!