Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mom and Dad's October Trip to Buenos Aires

Five months ago my parents came to visit us in Buenos Aires. I never got around to posting the pics, and it's been rainy here in AZ, so let's check out sunny BA!

We took a bus tour of the city.

We stopped by the Plaza de Mayo and the Casa Rosada. The President's offices are here, and the balcony made famous by Evita.

We went by the Art Deco-style Kavanagh building, once the tallest building in South America.
We saw some typical Argentine schoolboys in Recoleta.

We went to the famous Recoleta Cemetery.



We visited Eva "Evita" Peron's tomb there.


Throughout the cemetery, many of the tombs are like little rooms with doors and windows and the coffins right there visible inside.

We went down Avenida 9 de Julio, "the widest avenue in the world." As you can see, that's debatable, as it's broken up by medians. The obelisko is on this street (what looks like a smaller version of the Washington Monument).


We passed this modern archaeological site under a bridge. The billboard at the very far left has pictures of people who were "disappeared" during the Dirty War. I think the iron sculpture of figures going up the beam supporting the bridge has something to do with that. There are two archaeologists you can see in this pic who were working on the site. I think they may be recovering remains of people who were disappeared, but I'm not sure; I'm curious and need to find out more about what's going on here.

We saw this interesting bas relief in La Boca neighborhood.

At the end of our bus tour, we walked to one of my favorite places, Volta, for ice cream!!!

Then we walked to the Ambassador's residence so my parents could get a tour.


I was only four months pregnant here!

Detail of the engraving behind us in the picture above. I like the quote.



The banquet hall. I've been to a couple lunches here -- several leaves were taken out of the table for those events though!
We toured the gardens behind the residence.


Looking at the back of the residence.
The pool.

Back in our neighborhood that night, we walked a couple blocks to this great place that makes fresh pasta and sauces. They have a statue of Luciano Pavorotti in the window, naturally ... (?) so my Dad had to get a pic of my mom posing by him :)
It was a really fun trip, if I do say so myself!

3 comments:

Z. Marie said...

What a fun trip for them! Your ambassador's house is awesome!
Part of your post reminded me of this news story from the past couple of weeks, which I'm sure you've seen/heard. But in case not:
http://www.news4jax.com/family/22646085/detail.html

modestmuse said...

I hadn't heard that story, but I read this one a few weeks ago http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/10/AR2010021003662.html. I just noticed that the guy in one of the article's photos is looking at the same sign under the bridge that's at the very far left of the pic in my post. I just did a quick Google and found this http://www.getty.edu/conservation/publications/newsletters/17_2/feature9.html.

Anonymous said...

It's Friday, and that means that the Fourth Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

Here is the link:

http://bit.ly/9J6NBQ

(If I quoted your text and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

Thanks!