Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Book Fair

I never posted about the BA book fair.

The Embassy participated in the Buenos Aires book fair, a three-week event with hundreds of booths in a convention center conveniently located next to the Embassy.

When I was asked to volunteer at the booth, I pictured a card table and a tri-fold display board.

Oh, no, no, no, was I wrong.

An architectural firm specializing in custom convention displays created this "Books to Movies" themed booth. All of the books on display had been adapted to movies. It was awesome to see the range of American authors and eras. Of course, there were also some very popular Obama books on display, too.

The booth is supposed to evoke film reels and even has flat screen displays on it.
The back of the booth:
The information desk:

The "charla" (conversation) area. Authors and speakers were scheduled every day; some spoke here:
And others spoke in a lecture hall, including featured Pulitzer Prize-winning Embassy guests Junot Diaz (The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao) and Annie Proulx (The Shipping News, Brokeback Mountain).


Pretty cool. I was impressed.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

WOw how cool!! Wish I could have been there with you! And I love the word charla :)