Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Little of the Everyday in Buenos Aires

Neil made coconut mochi for dessert when we had friends over a few weeks ago. It was excellent! It kinda looked like raw chicken, but it tasted awesome. We served it with mousse de maracuya (passionfruit) ice cream. Delicioso ... or, I should say, ono! The recipe is from a book my cousin's wife, Stephanie, compiled. (Don't mind the giant heads of cabbage-like things in a vase -- I couldn't resist!)


We live a few blocks from this school. I like the doorway.



The shopping here is INCREDIBLE. The stores themselves are pretty cool -- one of my favorite things is that the clothes are usually displayed by color, and they only have one or two of each item on the rack, which makes each store look like a haute couture boutique.

If you like a shirt you see in the "blue" section, but you want it in green, go look over at the green clothes and it's probably over there (rather than displaying all colors of the same shirt together, the way it's usually done in the U.S.). Like I said, they only have a few on display, and those are the floor models, you don't buy them.

If you decide you want to buy an item after trying it on, the salesperson goes to the back and gets a fresh one, still wrapped in the plastic shipping bag, and that's the one you buy.

This is an Ayres chain store, but it's one of the more architecturally interesting stores I've seen here.


Some of my friends and I went to this natural deli/market for lunch and it was really good. Outdoor seating is very common here. It's winter here in June -- as you can tell by the way people are dressed, it was a little cool to eat outside that day (sorry I captured that one guy with his finger in his nose).

I like the skylight ceiling.
This is a cafe near where I work. Neil met me for submarinos (chocolate bars melted in steamed milk) after work.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

what a dreamy fun post and i am happy the mochi turned out well! i still havent made any with the new recipe- i think i am still traumatized from the last time i tried to make it with no water :) you have inspired me! maybe ill make some tonight to round out fathers day!