Thursday, February 17, 2011

Congo Line

I'm Losing My Mind part II:

The previous post reminded me of another thing that happened the other day.

Our class went to an Ethiopian restaurant to have a little Africa experience here in Va.

DSCN3137


I'm not the hugest fan of Ethiopian, but it was pretty good.

Over lunch, the conversation turned to extracurricular activities and we started talking about dance. One of my classmates said she liked African dance. I asked her what it was like, because I've always heard of it talked about as a lot of fun and a lot of body movement, but I don't really know what it is like. It's always seemed to me to sound a bit like modern-danceish "You're a tree!" kind of stuff.

She said there were different styles, and that the kind she thought was fun was like a line dance.

"A line dance?!" I asked. "Like a country line dance, in rows?"

No, she said, "like a line with one person behind the next."


CLICK


"Like a CONGO LINE???" I asked.


"Yeah!"




Yeah, I never made that connection until that moment.

p.s. it's apparently "CongA" line, so I stand corrected (you truly learn something new -- or realize your lack of brain function -- every day!). But it's from the Congo, so I feel better.

No comments: