Monday, May 30, 2011

The No. 1 Ladies' Opera House

Have you read the "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" series by Alexander McCall Smith?

If not, I recommend it; it's a fun read (and HBO series if you prefer visuals!) and is based right here in Gaborone, Botswana. It will give you a good taste for the culture here.

We stopped by the No. 1 Ladies' Opera House for the farmers' market this past weekend. Some of our friends were selling homemade cilantro-mint salsa (awesome!!!), some other friends were selling pork chops to promote their "piggery" (pig farm), and other friends of ours had a booth selling their fine art photography. We mised Ms. Farmer this week, but she'll be there next time.
DSCN5057

 DSCN5068

Nile would still be going up and down the stairs if I hadn't removed her. So cute the way babies look at other babies, too.
DSCN5071

At the top of the stairs, the view of the stage. And some lovely young ladies sharing a bit of gossip.
DSCN5064

I kind of enjoy how now, as a mom with a baby, I am "invisible" to high school through college age girls and can follow my baby up the stairs and into their conversation space without them stopping or moving on. Great and not so great from an anthropological perspective! I can't really engage in participant observation, but I can be accepted to watch safely from just outside the circle under the socially neutral guise of "mother with baby."
DSCN5060
I like the cowhide pillows, a nice local touch. And the enamel tea kettle/cup/spoon chandelier!!!

This venue took me back to days of my childhood and youth, attending the Bluemont Fair. If you are in the D.C. area in September, I highly recommend you and your family and friends attend the fair.  It's a WONDERFUL hometown, family event, lots of handmade crafts, Civil War-era antiques, music, food, etc.
DSCN5069
Mom, doesn't this make you think of looking out from the Community Center or the Store? This just really reminded me of that atmosphere. A taste of home on another continent.

DSCN5059

DSCN5051

DSCN5045

DSCN5050

DSCN5065

1 comment:

Bfiles said...

it looks like you are starting to settle into Botswana and enjoy it! Love all these posts. So is Mme Rawotswe (sp?) a real person? I saw one of the banners says she used to have a detective agency...does she now own that place? tell us more!!